Saturday, November 23, 2013

Stuff the Turkey & Deck the Halls: Looking Back on Holidays Past

I know, I've been AWOL for what, two weeks? I think. I know I was playing with Jackson last time I posted. I have a good excuse though, I was in New York last weekend so I didn't have time to post. But really I've been swamped with school and I'm super lazy and there was some family drama and yeah. Excuses, excuses, excuses. I'll fill yinz in later though, deal? Not like you care... #awk

New York City last week - had to go to the Lilly store!

The holidays are finally truly upon us! According to the stores Christmas was a go as soon as everyone was back in school, but to all of us that don't have to sell plastic Santas and faux Christmas trees to keep our companies afloat the holidays start as soon as the first 30 pound turkey is purchased and thawed. I have been anxiously awaiting for Monday since I got back from the city late Saturday night and it's almost here. I actually told my dad that my Thanksgiving break starts on Monday instead of Tuesday because the only thing I have on Tuesday is my English and it's basically like 98% cancelled (that's not possible, but whatever) so I leave after my last class on Monday... I will have 5 o'clock on the brain all day!

It's snowing here in good, old Clarion today and so I've opened the blinds and sat down with my trusty laptop and some hot cocoa, turned on some Christmas music and mentally preparing for the train wreck that the upcoming festivities will be. I look forward to Christmas and Thanksgiving every year and every year they get harder and harder. I guess when your mom's last Thanksgiving and Christmas are spent in a hospital bed getting fed through a tube you really can't go back. People end up yelling, I almost got kicked out of my house last Thanksgiving, and my dad came really close to disowning me last Christmas. So, we'll see what this holiday season has in store for me - trust me, if I could skip them I would.

Here's what I am excited about though:

All of the fun holiday outfits, Honey Baked Ham... I actually hate ham, but I love their sugar-coated turkey, looking at all of the tacky Christmas lights (are colored bulbs really necessary?), and of course the baking! I love, love, love being on my feet for hours and getting the most amazing cookies and cakes in the end (P.S. I'm not an avid sharer.)

I seriously snack on this and eat it cold and it only lasts me a day, it's turkey


And now some holiday memories:
Just kidding, how about some quick photos from one, single Thanksgiving?

My favorite Thanksgivings are always the ones spent in New York. I honestly won't watch the Macy's Parade unless I'm physically there... mostly because I get bored.

Santa at Macy's Thanksgiving Parade - 2011

I also adore the Rockette's. Like, I wish I could be one, but I'm too short and can't get my leg up high enough anymore (boo for no more dancing this year)

Blurry, but it's my favorite part!
And every time we spend Thanksgiving in the city I ALWAYS go see Santa at Macy's (even if I have to drag whomever is with me)


Lastly, I just found this picture today, but every Christmas my cousin, Beth, comes in from Florida and we always do fun stuff and always end with a picture in front of the fireplace at my Grandma's house.
Me, my dad, Beth, Mike, & Billy - January 2012
I had to include this one, it's from Christmas Eve last year and it represents the relationship that my brothers and I have beautifully

GL, Mike, Billy, and I - Christmas Eve 2012

What are some of your favorite holiday memories? Any traditions that you love? One of my favorite traditions is getting new pajamas on Christmas Eve after mass.






No comments:

Post a Comment