Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Finding Your Groove

I've been at school for a little over two months now and though I haven't made many friends yet, I have met a few really great people. However, I'm still working on "finding my groove" here. It's normal, but I'm not okay with it. When I was a freshman in high school I figured everything out within the first month. Sure I can navigate around the campus fairly easily, but because my schedule is so weird I find it hard to really settle down and study. 

In high school it was school, rowing, and dance. For the first year it was in that order, but sophomore year it changed to rowing, school, dance. No, that wasn't the list of my priorities - okay, it was a little, but I had school at the top. Seriously, there was a hospital visit junior year because I was addicted to school work and wouldn't stop rowing or dancing. It wasn't pretty, but I came out of it stronger than ever and even my grades improved.

College is different though. I expected it to be, but I didn't think I would have such an easy time and struggle as much as I have. The work has been easy - my grades have proved that - but getting myself to hunker down and get the work done is still a work in progress. I love doing work. It's weird, but I'm so excited to graduate and become married to my job and run on little sleep. I thrive on it and right now I don't have that. I have too much time and so I'm not biting my nails trying to figure out when things will get done, but rather when I'm going to force myself to have some self control and turn off Gossip Girl (I finished season five today.)

I'm not sure where exactly this post is taking me, but I do know where I want to take it. The problem is getting there. 

I decided about a week ago that I need to go easier on myself since it is my first semester at college in a new town (I'm from a city so this is very new to me) so I'm kind of trying to dip my toes in rather than dive in head first. This doesn't give me an excuse to skip class though. I slept through my 9:30 class both days last week and my professor pulled me aside to see if I was okay and if I needed someone to talk to when really the only problem I'm willing to admit is that I can't sleep at night which means that I can't wake up in the morning. 

This is so scattered in my mind, I have about a million things running through my mind right now and I want to grab them and place them in front of me so that I can see it all. That's what lists are for, but they don't really work on me. Anyways, when I say find your groove I just mean find what works for you and go with it. Even if changes, roll with it. Do what you think is best for you and chances are you'll rock at it.


And with that, I leave you with a book suggestion that I too am planning on reading over break that I really should have read years ago. Probably about five years ago my dad bought me a book called How to Become a Straight A Student by Cal Newport. I'll be reading it over Thanksgiving and Christmas break, do you care to join me?


No comments:

Post a Comment