Sunday, November 10, 2013

Better With Age

When I was younger I used to think that  I would never mature. Seriously, when I was six I would panic that I would never grow up - that I would always watch Disney Channel and play Barbie's and sleep with my doll, Baby Sandy. I thought that I would never turn into my parents. I thought that I would never be able to be a mom because I couldn't grow out of my childhood. I assumed I would never be able to keep my room clean and organized without my mom's help. I was so wrong and I realized that as I was making my bed this morning (I didn't even start doing that until college) and it hit me, I've only gotten better with age.

Do you know what else that I realized? I realized that some people don't get better with age - they turn into sour milk instead of fine wine. There are people out there that are my age, but they behave the same way that I did when I was nine. It's so strange to realize that some people are growing and maturing while others are growing, but remaining the same.

I'm not sure what made me get my life together. Maybe it's the life experiences that I've had or maybe it simply is just chalking more years up. My birthday is in April and it didn't even hit me until last night that legally I am adult. I sat there in disbelief wondering who on earth would let me become an adult. It's so strange that I can do anything I want - I can get tattooed with out my father's permission or even get married if I really wanted to. Granted I won't do any of those things right now, but the option is there if I ever want to. It's actually quite funny how it hit me that I'm an adult last night; my younger brother told me that  I should have taken my other little brother to see Bad Grandpa last night since I could get him into the theatre. I think that alone tells me that I'm really not ready to be an adult (and neither is he, but in less than a year he will be.)

Truthfully, I'm not ready for this "new found freedom" I'm in no way prepared for it. In a few years I'll be graduated from college and onto even bigger things... like the real world, oh my! I want to go back to 17, it was only a few months ago, but it feels like it's worlds away. To think that this time last year I was a senior in high school who couldn't wait to get out of Erie and move to New York. My life is in a completely different place than I thought it would be, but it's happening for a reason. A reason that I may learn of when I'm older... maybe I'll be a whiskey instead of wine.

I'm signing off now though because Jack is trying to type for me and close the laptop and eat some quarters. I hope you too become a fine wine instead of sour milk.


No comments:

Post a Comment